Home Search Main Menu


FAQs on Curriculum at Chailey School

Do you set or stream students?

Our students are in mixed ability groups in Year 7 to 8, except for Mathematics, where students are set by ability. In Year 9 we mix students up a bit. GCSE courses begin in foreign languages and science at the start of Year 9 and part way through, GCSE courses begin in maths and English.

What is the curriculum like at KS4?

Our core curriculum means that all students study GCSEs in English Language, English Literature, Mathematics and between two and three science subjects. There is also statutory provision of careers, sex and relationships education, religious education and physical education. The vast majority of students take 4 further GCSEs – one in a language, one in a humanities subject (history, geography, RS) and two free option choices.

What GCSEs are offered in the Options?

Art, Photography, Business Studies, Resistant Materials, Food and Nutrition, PE, Dance, Geography, History, Beliefs and Ethics, German, French, Spanish and Computer Science.

Can all students follow separate GCSE’s in Biology, Chemistry, Physics?

Any student, regardless of ability, can follow 3 separate sciences if they wish.


FAQs on SEND at Chailey School

What does support look like at Chailey?

As with all secondary schools, there’s a wide range of support on offer at Chailey, which starts with Quality First Teaching within the classroom. It may also exist in other forms, dependent on the child’s needs.

We are a fully inclusive school. We believe that the best place for the child is in the classroom with their peers and knowledgeable teachers. We have a small team of Teaching Assistants.

In addition to providing our students with an education, our priority is to ensure that students leave us with a wide range of strategies to manage or overcome their difficulties.

Please see our SEND Policy & Information Report for detailed information.

How do teachers know about my child’s needs?

If your child has a learning difficulty where they require reasonable adjustments or special educational needs we provide a document called a Student Passport (formerly known as an ECM). This provides teachers with a brief summary of the student’s needs and strategies which can aid the teacher with differentiation, accessibility and interventions they may benefit from. The Passport is created by the SEND team working collaboratively with Primary schools (year 7 Induction), the Pastoral & Year Teams.

Not all students receiving support from the SEND Team will need a Student Passport.  However, where there are very particular strategies to use for a student across a range of subjects, then it can communicate this.

A Student Passport is a working document which is updated when new information is received and is reviewed at least once a year. Unlike an EHCP, a Student Passport is not a legal document or requirement and therefore does not entitle a student to TA support within the lessons or access arrangements.

Is the school accessible for students with physical needs?

  • Access to all buildings can be gained by wheelchair users

  • Specialist rooms are accessible by those with mobility difficulties either because they are situated on the ground floor or because lifts are available

  • Stairways and colour schemes are suitable for those with visual impairment

  • Reasonable adjustments are made to support students e.g. a reduced timetable for those with medical needs as they recover.

Please note that we are currently undergoing a whole school rebuild which may make transition more challenging for some.

Can students with a special educational need engage in extra-curricular clubs and activities with those in the school who do not have a special educational need?


The school provides a range of extra-curricular clubs and activities open to all students.

Homework Club takes place in the Library and is available to students of the school Monday to Thursdays from 2.50pm to 3.30pm, with different days per year group. This is staffed by members of the SEND Team.

Students are also encouraged to take part in school events, whether this be during Open Evenings, Performing Arts events or Talent Shows – to name but a few.

Is there a safe space where my child can go when they are feeling worried or distressed?

Yes, students are able to go to the TLC (Transitional Learning Centre) in the Children’s Centre building, during their Brunch or Community & Culture times. They are also able to attend our Mental Health Drop-in Sessions if they are worried about something. These take place weekly and are run by the Mental Health & Emotional Wellbeing Leads in school. Students can drop by without an appointment and talk to someone and seek advice.

Do you have a school dog?

Yes, we have Holly the black Labrador come into school 3 days a week. She is usually based in the TLC. Holly can help students who are struggling to control their emotions and self-regulate.   She can be called to an area of the school to help diffuse a heightened situation as well as calm students and help those that are upset to regain their composure. She also listens to young people reading and is a great support to the well-being of the students.

Should I choose Chailey over other secondary schools?

All schools in England are expected to meet the needs of their students and should provide the support required in order to do so.



If you have a question, please email Gemma Butler, the Head's PA, at gbutler@chaileyschool.org and we will add your question, and our answer, to this page.


Click here to contact us Share
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email