Home Search Main Menu

Frequently asked questions

Questions & Answers

How do I obtain a place for my child at Chailey School? 
Please see our web page under the 'Choosing Chailey' menu tab (above) which explains the process in detail.

I have a query regarding the school coach and/or travel permits? 
Please speak to School Transport at East Sussex County Council – 01273 481724.

Who should I contact about a matter relating to my child? 
Telephone the school and ask to speak to your child’s form tutor in the first instance.

How often will I receive a report on my child's progress?
Three times each year - two progress reports and one full Academic review. If you require any futher copies of this information then please contact the school office.

Can my child wear jewellery to school? 
One pair of small gold stud earrings, one ring and a watch may be worn to school. These will have to removed for Technology and PE for health and safety reasons. Necklaces and bracelets are not permitted.

Do I have to send a letter in when my child is off sick? 
Yes, please send a letter with your child when they return to school. Please also telephone the school absence line, (01273 890407 option 1), every morning of your child’s absence. Hospital, Doctor, Dentist, Orthodontist appointments will be authorised where an appointment card/letter is provided.

Can I take my child out of school during term time for a family holiday? 
No - the Local Authority's policy is that no authorised absence will be given for holiday taken during term time.

Is there an easy way I can raise funds for the school? 
Yes please! You are very welcome to support PTA events (see the Friends of Chailey page) and make voluntary donations to the School Fund. Please contact the school office in the first instance.

If my child has forgotten PE kit/lunch/homework etc, can I bring it to school? 
No, your child should check that they have everything with them before they leave for school in the morning and should develop the habit of packing their schoolbag the previous evening. The PE Department and Student Services are used to dealing with a wide range of situations including forgotten PE kits and lunch.

Can my child bring a mobile phone to school? 
We would prefer them not to. However, if they do have a mobile ‘phone with them it must be switched off when they arrive at school and remain switched off until they leave school at the end of the day. If a ‘phone is seen by a member of staff it will be confiscated, placed in the school safe and you will be sent a letter asking you to collect it – the ‘phone will not be returned to your child. A telephone is available at Student Services and in the PE Department should your child need to contact you. A member of staff will always contact a parent/carer if a student is not well enough to remain at school or in the event of an emergency.

When are the school holidays? 
You will find term dates on the home page of the website under 'quick links'.

If I have to collect my child for an appointment, or if they are unwell, what do I do? 
Send in a copy of the appointment letter or card to the Attendance Officer prior to your appointment. When you collect your child, go to the main office and they will ring Student Services, your child will then be brought up to reception for you to collect.

Click here to contact us Share
Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email